Looking to get outside and enjoy the summer sun? Or get moving and explore nature? What about grabbing coffee or lunch at a tasty café, or sitting down to dinner with a view? You can do all of that right here in Walworth County. We’re just across the Illinois/Wisconsin border and our small communities have big opportunities for summer fun. Here are some local favorites to enjoy summer in Walworth County!
Summer Fun in Whitewater
- Whitewater Lake Beach is a state park with a beach on Whitewater Lake.
- Rice Lake is right across from Whitewater Lake Beach. It has a public boat landing and is also accessible with a state park pass. You can fish in Rice Lake for panfish, largemouth bass and northern pike.
- Whitewater Lake campground is part of the Kettle Moraine State Forest Southern Unit.
- Whitewater has miles of trails in and around the Kettle Moraine State Forest and the Ice Age Trail.
- Spring Creek Golf Course is a family-run course in Whitewater offering a 9-hole layout with full-length par 3s. They also have a new driving range.
Enjoy Summer in Elkhorn
- Head to Duesterbeck’s Brewing Company for a drink and some fun.
- The newest addition to downtown Elkhorn is Backyard at Friends, a space behind the local coffee shop Friends on the Square offering specialty drinks and a great outdoor patio space.
- Head to Saturday on the Square in downtown Elkhorn. The 13-week farmers market runs from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend and features produce, crafts, and commercial products from 9am-1pm.
- Sunset Pool is open daily from 11am-6pm and has slides, basketball hoops, zero entry, geysers, concessions, and shade umbrellas. The pool is also handicap accessible.
- The White River Trail is also a local favorite, with 12 miles of crushed limestone trail open to hiking, biking, and horseback riding (from Lyons to Springfield).
Activities in Williams Bay
- Williams Bay beach has shaded grassy areas and a bath house with showers.
- Next to the beach is Edgewater Park which is one of the public access points for the Lake Geneva Shore Path.
- Across the street from the beach is one of our favorite secrets of southeast Wisconsin – Kishwauketoe Conversancy, a 231-acre property right in the middle of Walworth County.
- Take in some history at the recently re-opened Yerkes Observatory in Williams Bay. You can schedule a building tour online or view the grounds from 10am-5pm (no ticket required).
- Williams Bay’s downtown is small but features more than its fair share of local shops and restaurants. Visit the Green Grocer and Deli or Steamers Coffee Shop for something quick. The Geneva Lake General Store has gift sand home décor. Frosty Moose and Dip in the Bay serve up ice cream on a hot summer day. And there are enough restaurants to check out one a day for a week!
Delavan Fun For Summer
- Delavan hosts free concerts all summer long at Phoenix Park.
- Walk around the Paul Lange and Ora Rice arboretums, Congdon Gardens, or a true local secret – Swan Creek Trail.
- Mill Pond has a spring-fed pond with beach amenities, and you can rent kayaks and paddle boards across the street at Lake Comus.
- Delbrook Golf Course, one of the oldest courses in Wisconsin, and has three courses.
- Stay at Lake Lawn Resort, where they have everything from beaches, indoor and outdoor pools, restaurants, cafes, a gift shop, activities, and a golf course right on Delavan Lake.
Things To Do in Lake Geneva This Summer
- Get out on Geneva Lake with Lake Geneva Cruise Line.
- Visit the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum to learn about the history of Dungeons and Dragons and see some cool memorabilia.
- Explore Walworth County’s only state park – Big Foot Beach State Park.
- Walk the 26-mile Lake Geneva Shore Path (or just part of it) and enjoy beautiful views all around you.
- Go on a safari right in Lake Geneva…warning, you may get up close and personal with some large animals!
BONUS: Go see a show at the Tristan Crist Magic Theatre. You’ll get to experience large illusions in an intimate setting – watch a lady get cut in half, a Harley-Davidson motorcycle vanish in two seconds, and a real helicopter appear on stage.
Walworth Summer Activities
- Take some practice swings at Big Foot Golf Range.
- Enjoy nature on the Whitetail Ridge Walking Path or the Badger Park Trail.
- Grab an ice cream treat or a quick lunch at Meggy Moo’s Dairy Ripple.
- Stop by for Margarita Monday, Tito’s Tuesday, Wine’d Up Wednesday or a drink any other day of the week at The 46 Tavern.
- Grab breakfast, lunch or dinner at Sammy’s on the Square.
Enjoy Summer in Fontana
- Head to the Fontana Beach for a day in the water.
- Stop by Fontana C. Frog for a fun photo opp!
- Go for a walk at Hildebrand Nature Conservancy.
- Enjoy several parks, and kids play areas, right down by Geneva Lake.
- Access the Lake Geneva Shore Path from Reid Park, south of the south, and north of the municipal piers
Enjoy Summer in Sharon
- Grab some loaded mac and cheese and a beer at Pat’s Brew & ‘Que.
- Enjoy coffee or wine with friends at Small Towne Lounge.
- Bring your bikes and pick one of the country road bike loops that range from 16 to almost 24 miles.
- Stop by Myrt’s Ice Cream Shoppe for a hand-dipped cone or ice cream shake.
- Pick up a gift or do get some supplies for your plant babies at Joyful Plants.
Summer in East Troy
- Take a historic trolley train ride and learn some history at the East Troy Railroad Museum.
- Spend a day enjoying the lake life at Booth Lake.
- Do some hiking at the Beulah Bluff Preserve in the Kettle Moraine Land Trust.
- Stop by LD’s BBQ for all the smoked meats and special sauces…be sure to try his newest sauce – The Boss.
- Enjoy at round of golf at Alpine Valley Resort.
No matter which community you visit or what activities you’re looking for, head to WalCo to enjoy the rest of summer in Wisconsin!